
When I first saw the trailer for the upcoming movie, Ije: The Journey, I thought to myself, this is one Nollywood movie that should be seen in American movie theaters. And after speaking with the movie producer, the very personable Chineze Anyaene, it appears efforts to have the movie in American theaters could well be on its way. This past weekend, Olamild Entertainment was granted exclusive access to talk with Chineze Anyaene about this amazing movie the new and young lady has produced.
I just saw the trailer of your new movie, Ije. Absolutely Amazing! Did you write the story?
Yes, I did, but I also had a screen writer by the name of Screen Tilson.
Is that a Nigerian name?
Oh, Tilson is an american Screen Writer.
It appears you have a definite blockbuster movie, because a lot of Nigerians and immigrants in general can relate to the story. Is this a true story? Or is it your story?
(laughs) No, it is not my story it is pure fiction.
What was your goal with this movie?
I love to write drama and I also just wanted to write a story
that people can relate to especially Nigerians or Immigrants generally.
With major actresses like Motola Jolade-Ekeinde and Genevieve Nnaji, was directing a challenge?
They are both very talented and professional women but getting to convince to do the movie was a major challenge.
A big challenge? Why?
First, because there is this idea out there that movies shot abroad are not as good as movies shot in Naija itself.
Also, being a new director was a big challenge and Genevieve was not even in Nigeria when I was trying to contact her. She was in London when I was trying to start. Both Motola and Genevieve were also worried about the story being told the way intended.
So far, what has the reception been like?
I think people really appreciate the movie, but there are always people who would be negative but I think 99% of people that have seen the trailer or heard of the movie like it.You know why I think we did very well?
Ije is in 10 film festivals not just in the US or UK but around the world. The story is well appreciated around the world and it really is something a lot of people from different parts of the world can relate to. Nigerians and Immigrants would be very interested in the movie.
So When is the movie to be released and in what countries?
Hopefully, March 26th in Nigeria. We are also working on a date for America and summer in the UK.
Any plans to have the movie in American theaters?
Every film producer hopes to get his/her movie in the theaters in United States, so we are working towards. I want to aim as high as I can.
There is a gradual trend towards internationalizing Nigerian movies with moveis like the TENANT, Through the Glass, and now yours. How true to the culture do you think our movies can stay like say the indian movies?
I don't think it affected the culture in Ije because in my movie we actually spoke Igbo. We also made sure that the Nigerian actresses spoke in their Nigerian accents and stayed true to the Nigerian characters they were portraying. Through language, accents, the location in Nigeria, costumes, Ije was true to culture. At the end of the day, we are Nigerians and when we tell stories we tell what we can relate to.
As a Nigerian Producer living in Diaspora, you are sort of a cultural ambassador, what do you hope to do with this role?
Well I just finished school in the US and I am back in Nigeria. I went to the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles. I eat, drink and dream film making. The Nigerian culture is very rich and as a film maker I would like to show case this rich culture . I hope to educate others about this rich culture, and I will also want to let people know that African women are intelligent because I noticed in the US that a lot of people think we don't speak English and other stuff like that. So I would also like to portray the educated and intelligent African woman.
Any hopes or dreams for Nollywood and aspiring producers?
If they know what they want, they should just go for it. I think Africans are very talented and creative. Arts have been underrated until recent times in Nigeria. I think bigger and better producers will come out of Nigeria. We will get there if we have a positive outlook. I know a few upcoming producers who are very promising. They are coming out with new movies that i cannot talk about right now, but they are very good movies. So I have hope for Nollywood.
So what's next for you?
I have a lot in place. I am working on a TV show the rest of the year. I also have a pet project which is a thriller coming up at the end of the year.
Wow, you are very busy. It was nice talking to you. I hope you will give us the opportunity to interview you in the future?
I will keep you posted and would be open to talk. Thank you.
Thanks and congratulations on your success.
Thank you.
--
Related post(s) : Ije in theatres
Related post(s) : Ije in theatres







6 comment(s):
Excellent interview. Personally, I cannot wait to see the film. A viewing at my local AFI Theater (they're pro-Nollywood and located in Silver Spring, MD) would be excellent. Continued success to Ms. Anyaene and all those trying to produce art that reflects the best of what Nigeria, and in fact the continent, has to offer.
What a nice read!
I'll be on the look out for her movie. Nice interview.
Can't wait to see the movie in the UK and by the way, I could arrange a Cinema Hall here in Birmingham (The Drum) to show the movie. Olamild, Wouldn't mind if u culd link me up with the producer.
Excellent Interview; gives us insight into the personality of the director/creator of 'Ije' - intelligent, yet humble.
I've seen the trailer and can,t wait to see the movie. We in the Nigerian/African community in the Metro-Detroit area of Michigan, have already put out the word, and people are waiting.
While waiting for the major theater deals, The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) can showcase it - they run an intertional film series all year long. As a matter of fact they just showed "Nollywood Bandit" just last Saturday, March 13, 2010.
For more info you can reach me at (248)918-4610 or.gnugwu@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Nebechi Gab
Nice idea and also you made the right selection of actors and actresses.
Post a Comment